This is the stuffing recipe that I use all the time. It comes from Taste of Home (October/November 2006, p.8). The original recipe asked for raisins but I prefer the dried cranberries. You can also put this stuffing in a turkey but I find stuffing the turkey dries out the turkey meat so I cook the stuffing separately. This recipe can be found online at http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Turkey-with-Apple-Stuffing-2Ingredients:
- 1-½ cups chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup butter, cubed
- 9 cups day-old cubed whole wheat bread
- 3 cups finely chopped apples
- ¾ cup dried cranberries or Craisins
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 1-½ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 carrot, grated
1. Saute celery and onion in butter until tender.
2. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread cubes, apples, dried cranberries, salt, thyme, sage and pepper.
3. Place stuffing in a greased 9x13 baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake.
4. Bake covered, for 20-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.