- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1-½ cups chopped green peppers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 4-½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-½ lb. cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 jar whole mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dried savory
- Hot cooked rice
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
2. In the drippings, saute onions, green peppers and garlic.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, basil and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp, mushrooms, butter, lemon juice and savory. Cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through
5. Discard bay leaf. Stir in bacon. Serve with rice.
Picture and recipe available at http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Mushroom-Shrimp-Creole
This freezes nicely.