- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 ¼ cups boiling water
- 2 eggs, whites and yokes separated
- 1 lemon, yellow rind grated off and lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp margarine or butter
- ½ tsp cream of tarter
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp sugar
1. Mix the cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Add 1/4 cup of cold water to make a paste. Slowly add boiling water while stirring. Cook over low heat until thick and clear.
2. Beat the 2 egg yokes you separated and add a small amount of the cooked pudding mixture. Once mixed add it to the rest of the pudding mixture. If you add the egg yokes directly to the pudding, you run the risk of cooking them.
3. Continue to cook the pudding mixture (which now contains the egg yokes) for 3 minutes on low.
4. Add lemon juice, rind, and margarine or butter to the pudding. Pour the pudding into a cooked pie shell.
5. Beat the 2 egg whites left from the 2 yolks plus an additional 2 whites. Beat until foamy and then add cream of tarter. Beat until stiff but not dry. Add 2 tsp of sugar at this point. Spread the meringue over the pie filling. Be sure to seal your edges so the meringue covers the whole crust.
6. Brown the meringue in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes.