This is a recipe from Grandma's cookbook. She thinks she got it out of a newspaper. She used to make it when my grandpa was still living. He liked it over creamed potatoes. It is like sloppy joes but sweeter.Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp bacon drippings or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
1. Mix the first 8 ingredients and place over low heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. In another frying pan, combine the bacon drippings or oil and onion. Cook over low heat until onions are transparent and then add ground beef and remaining salt and pepper.
3. Brown meat mixture slowly, crumbling it with a fork when its completely browned. Pour off any grease that has formed. Add the BBQ sauce mixture that was prepared first. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Serve over buns or with mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
This freezes well.