This is a recipe from my April cooking class with T. Pechey. Fresh salsas are so tasty and healthy to boot.Ingredients:
- ½ to 1 chipotle chili
- 1 lb tomatillos
- ½ red onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- ⅓ cup cilanro or parsely, chopped - do not use stems
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bag tortilla chips
1. Place the lime juice, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to dissolve sugar.
2. Finely mince 1/2 of the chipotle and keep mincing until it's a paste-like consistency. Add the minced chipotle and any liquid to the lime juice mixture. Stir well to incorporate.
3. Remove and discard the husks from the tomatillos. Rinse the tomatillos under running water to remove the stickiness. Chop the tomatillos into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the bowl.
4. Dice the red onion into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the bowl.
5. Cut the yellow bell in half and remove and discard the membrane and seeds. Chop the bell pepper into 1/4 inch pieces and add t
o the bowl.
6. Add the parsley and oregano. Stir the entire mixture really well. Taste a little of the mixture. If you feel that it needs more heat, then finely mince the other half of the chipotle.
7. Serve with tortilla chips.
I couldn't find tomatillos the last time I made this recipe so I used roma tomatoes. I seeded three roma tomatoes and then chopped them up.
Lime flavoured tortilla chips are my favourite with this salsa.